The definition of virtuous is someone or something who is moral.
An example of virtuous is a nun.
- having, or characterized by, moral virtue; righteous
- chaste: said of a woman
- Archaic having potency; efficacious
Origin of virtuousMiddle English vertuous from Old French vertuos from Late Latin virtuosus from Classical Latin virtus, worth, virtue
- Having or showing virtue, especially moral excellence: led a virtuous life. See Synonyms at moral.
- Archaic Chaste: a virtuous woman.
(comparative more virtuous, superlative most virtuous)
- Full of virtue, having excellent moral character.
From Middle English, Anglo Norman, ultimately from Late Latin virtuÅsus, from Latin virtÅ«s.