- The definition of virtuous is someone or something who is moral.
An example of virtuous is a nun.
virtuous definition by Webster's New World
- having, or characterized by, moral virtue; righteous
- chaste: said of a woman
- Archaic having potency; efficacious
Origin: Middle English vertuous ; from Old French vertuos ; from Late Latin virtuosus ; from Classical Latin virtus, worth, virtue
virtuous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having or showing virtue, especially moral excellence: led a virtuous life.
- Possessing or characterized by chastity; pure: a virtuous woman. See Synonyms at moral.
- virˈtu·ous·ly adverb
- virˈtu·ous·ness noun