- The definition of virtuous is someone or something who is moral.
An example of virtuous is a nun.
- having, or characterized by, moral virtue; righteous
- chaste: said of a woman
- Archaic having potency; efficacious
Origin: Middle English vertuous from Old French vertuos from Late Latin virtuosus from Classical Latin virtus, worth, virtue
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having or showing virtue, especially moral excellence: led a virtuous life.
- Possessing or characterized by chastity; pure: a virtuous woman. See Synonyms at moral.
- virˈtu·ous·ly adverb
- virˈtu·ous·ness noun