- The definition of exemplary is an excellent model or example, or a sample worthy person or thing.
- An example of exemplary is a student getting straight A's.
- An example of exemplary is a perfectly molded chocolate Easter bunny.
- serving as a model or example; worth imitating: exemplary behavior
- serving as a warning or deterrent: exemplary punishment
- serving as a sample, instance, type, etc.; illustrative: exemplary extracts
Origin: Late Latin exemplaris: see exemplar
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Worthy of imitation; commendable: exemplary behavior.
- Serving as a model.
- Serving as an illustration; typical.
- Serving as a warning; admonitory.
Origin: From Middle English exaumplarie, exemplere, an exemplar; see exemplar.
- exˌem·plarˈi·ly adverb
- ex·emˈpla·ri·ness, exˌem·plarˈi·ty noun