- The definition of upright is something or someone who is strictly honest, or something that is vertical or erect.
- A person who is a good citizen who has never ever told a lie is an example of an upright citizen.
- A vase that is right-side-up and standing erect instead of knocked over is an example of a vase that is upright.
- A piano that has a tall case with strings that stand vertically is an example of an upright piano.
- A vacuum cleaner that is meant to be used when standing vertically is an example of an upright vacuum.
- Upright is defined as something done in a vertical position.
A vase that was upside down but that is now turned right-side-up and vertical is an example of a vase that is standing upright.
upright definition by Webster's New World
- standing, pointing, or directed straight up; in a vertical or perpendicular position; erect
- honest and just; honorable
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English upriht: see up and amp; right
- the state of being upright or vertical
- something having an upright position; vertical part or member
- upright bass
- upright piano
- Football either of the two vertical parts extending up from the crossbar of a goal post
- one of the two standards supporting the crossbar in the high jump or pole vault
upright definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Being in a vertical position or direction: an upright post. See Synonyms at vertical.b. Erect in posture or carriage: “She sat with grim determination, upright as a darning needle stuck in a board” (Harriet Beecher Stowe).
- Adhering strictly to moral principles; righteous.
- A perpendicular position; verticality.
- Something, such as a goalpost, that stands upright.
- An upright piano.
- upˈrightˌly adverb
- upˈrightˌness noun