- The definition of a stile is a step for going over something, or a vertical strip in a frame.
- An example of a stile is a step for climbing over a fence.
- An example of a stile is a vertical piece of wood in a door frame.
stile definition by Webster's New World
- a step or set of steps used in climbing over a fence or wall
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English stigel ; from stigan, to climb ; from Indo-European base an unverified form steigh-, to step, climb from source stair, Sanskrit stighnoti, (he) climbs, Classical Greek stichos, a row, line
Origin: Dutch stijl, doorpost
stile definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A set or series of steps for crossing a fence or wall.
- A turnstile.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English stigel; see steigh- in Indo-European roots.
Origin: Probably from Dutch stijl, doorpost, from Middle Dutch, possibly from Latin stilus, pole, post.