stiletto definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. stilettos or stilettoes
- a small dagger, having a slender, tapering blade
- a small, sharp-pointed instrument used for making eyelet holes in cloth, etc.
- Chiefly Brit. spike heelin full stiletto heel
Origin: Italian diminutive of stilo, dagger ; from Classical Latin stilus: see style
stiletto definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. sti·let·tos or sti·let·toes
- a. A small dagger with a slender, tapering blade.b. Something shaped like such a dagger.
- A small, sharp-pointed instrument used for making eyelet holes in needlework.
Origin: Italian, diminutive of stilo, dagger, from Latin stilus, stylus, spike.