- The definition of a weapon is a tool used to injure or kill in fighting or hunting.
An example of a weapon is a gun.
This hunter is using a gun as his weapon.
- an instrument or device of any kind used to injure or kill, as in fighting or hunting
- any organ or part of an organism used for attacking or defending
- any means of attack or defense: the weapon of the law
Origin of weaponMiddle English wepen ; from Old English wæpen, akin to German waffe, Old Norse vāpn, Gothic wēpna: base found only in Germanic
- An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
- Zoology A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.
- A means used to defend against or defeat another: Logic was her weapon.
transitive verbweap·oned, weap·on·ing, weap·ons
Origin of weaponMiddle English wepen, from Old English w&aemac;pen.
From Middle English wepen, from Old English wÇ£pen (“weapon, sword, arms"), from Proto-Germanic *wÄ“pnÄ… (“weapon"), of unknown origin, possibly from Proto-Indo-European *wÄ“bnom. Cognate with Scots wapyn, wappen (“weapon"), West Frisian wapen (“weapon"), Dutch wapen (“weapon"), Low German wapen (“weapon"), German Waffe (“weapon"), Swedish vapen (“weapon"), Icelandic vopn (“weapon").
weapon - Legal Definition