Amsterdam is a Dutch city.
Dutch definition by Webster's New World
- of the Netherlands or its people, language, or culture
- ☆ of the Pennsylvania Dutch or their language or culture
Origin: Middle English Duch ; from Middle Dutch Duutsch, Dutch, German, akin to German Deutsch: see Deutschland
Dutch definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Of or relating to the Netherlands or its people or culture.b. Of or relating to the Dutch language.
- Archaic a. German.b. Of or relating to any of the Germanic peoples or languages.
- Of or relating to the Pennsylvania Dutch.
- (used with a pl. verb)a. The people of the Netherlands.b. Archaic A Germanic people.c. The Pennsylvania Dutch.
- a. The official West Germanic language of the Netherlands and one of the official languages of Belgium.b. Archaic One or more of the West Germanic languages of Germany, Switzerland, and the Low Countries.c. See Pennsylvania Dutch.
- Slang Anger or temper.
Origin: Middle English Duch, German, Dutch, from Middle Dutch Dūtsch; see teutā- in Indo-European roots.
dutch - Phrases/Idioms
- the people of the Netherlands
- â the Pennsylvania Dutch