- The definition of a duchess is a wife or widow of a duke, or a woman who has the rank of a duke in her own right.
The wife of a duke is an example of a duchess.
- the wife or widow of a duke
- a woman who has the rank of a duke
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French duchesse, feminine of duc, duke
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The wife or widow of a duke.
- A woman holding title to a duchy in her own right.
- Abbr. D. Used as the title for such a noblewoman.
Origin: Middle English duchesse, from Old French, from Medieval Latin ducissa, from Latin dux, duc-, leader; see duke.