The wife of a duke is an example of a duchess.
- the wife or widow of a duke
- a woman who has the rank of a duke
Origin of duchessMiddle English and amp; Old French duchesse, feminine of duc, duke
- The wife or widow of a duke.
- A woman holding title to a duchy in her own right.
- Used as the title for such a noblewoman.
Origin of duchessMiddle English duchesse, from Old French, from Medieval Latin ducissa, from Latin dux, duc-, leader; see duke.
(third-person singular simple present duchesses, present participle duchessing, simple past and past participle duchessed)
From Old French duchesse