- the wife or widow of a marquess
- a lady whose rank in her own right equals that of a marquess
Origin of marchionessMedieval Latin marchionissa, feminine of marchio, prefect of the marches ; from marcha, border ; from Frankish an unverified form marka, mark
- The wife or widow of a marquess.
- A noblewoman ranking above a countess and below a duchess. Also called marquise.
- Used as a title for such a noblewoman.
Origin of marchionessMedieval Latin marchi&omacron;nissa, wife of a margrave, marchioness, feminine of marchi&omacron;, marchi&omacron;n-, marquis, from marca, boundary, of Germanic origin; see merg- in Indo-European roots.
- The wife of a marquess.