- the wife or widow of a marquess
- a lady whose rank in her own right equals that of a marquess
Origin of marchionessMedieval Latin marchionissa, feminine of marchio, prefect of the marches from marcha, border from Frankish an unverified form marka, mark
- The wife or widow of a marquess.
- A noblewoman ranking above a countess and below a duchess. Also called marquise .
- Used as a title for such a noblewoman.
Origin of marchionessMedieval Latin marchiōnissa wife of a margrave, marchioness feminine of marchiō marchiōn- marquis from marca boundary of Germanic origin ; see merg- in Indo-European roots.
- The wife of a marquess.