- the wife or widow of a marquis
- a lady whose rank in her own right equals that of a marquis
- a ring with jewels set in the shape of a pointed oval
- a gem, esp. a diamond, cut in this shape
Origin of marquiseFr, feminine of marquis
- a. The wife or widow of a marquis.b. See marchioness.
- Used as a title for a marquise.
- See marquee.
- a. A finger ring set with a pointed oval stone or cluster of pointed oval stones.b. A pointed oval shape of a gem.
Origin of marquiseFrench feminine of marquis marquis ; see marquis .
marquise-cut diamond ring by jeweler Harry Winston (1896-1978)
From French marquise