marquise definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the wife or widow of a marquis
- a lady whose rank in her own right equals that of a marquis
- a ring with jewels set in the shape of a pointed oval
- a gem cut in this shape, esp. a diamond
Origin: French feminine of marquis
marquise definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- See marchioness.
- See marquee.
- a. A finger ring set with a pointed oval stone or cluster of pointed oval stones.b. A pointed oval shape of a gem.
Origin: French, feminine of marquis, marquis; see marquis .