- The definition of chivalrous is a man who is attentive and courteous to women, like a knight in shining armor.
A man who opens the door for a woman and provides any help she needs is an example of a man who is chivalrous.
- having the noble qualities of an ideal knight; gallant, courteous, honorable, etc.
- of chivalry; chivalric
Origin: Middle English chevalrous ; from Old French chevalereus: see chivalry
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having the qualities of gallantry and honor attributed to an ideal knight.
- Of or relating to chivalry.
- Characterized by consideration and courtesy, especially toward women.
- chivˈal·rous·ly adverb
- chivˈal·rous·ness noun