- The definition of polite is someone or something that exhibits consideration for others and socially acceptable behavior.
An example of someone who would be described as polite is a person who always says please and thank you.
polite definition by Webster's New World
- having or showing culture or good taste; polished; cultured; refined: polite society, polite letters
- having or showing good manners; esp., courteous, considerate, tactful, etc.
Origin: Classical Latin politus, past participle of polire, to polish
polite definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective po·lit·er, po·lit·est
- Marked by or showing consideration for others, tact, and observance of accepted social usage.
- Refined; elegant: polite society.
Origin: Middle English polit, polished, from Latin polītus, past participle of polīre, to polish; see polish.
- po·liteˈly adverb
- po·liteˈness noun