- The definition of refined is something that is made without impurities, or someone that is elegant.
- An example of something refined is white table sugar.
- An example of someone refined is a member of the royal family.
refined definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- made free from other matter, or from impurities; purified
- free from crudeness or coarseness; cultivated; elegant
- characterized by great subtlety, precision, etc.
Origin: past participle of refine
refined definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Free from coarseness or vulgarity; polite.
- Free of impurities; purified.
- Precise to a fine degree.
Variant of refine
transitive verb refined, refining
- to make fine or pure; free from impurities, dross, alloy, sediment, etc.; purify; clarify
- to free from imperfection, coarseness, crudeness, etc.; make more elegant or cultivated; impart polish to
- to make more subtle or precise
Origin: re- plush fine, verb , based on French raffiner, to purify
- to become fine or pure; become free from impurities, etc.
- to become more polished or elegant
- to use subtleties and fine distinctions in thinking or speaking
- refiner noun