- The definition of refined is something that is made without impurities, or someone that is elegant.
- An example of something refined is white table sugar.
- An example of someone refined is a member of the royal family.
- made free from other matter, or from impurities; purified
- free from crudeness or coarseness; cultivated; elegant
- characterized by great subtlety, precision, etc.
Origin of refinedpast participle of refine
- Free from coarseness or vulgarity; polite.
- Free of impurities; purified.
- Precise to a fine degree.
(comparative more refined, superlative most refined)
- Simple past tense and past participle of refine.
- The raw petroleum was refined into kerosene.
Variant of refine
transitive verbrefined, refining
- to make fine or pure; free from impurities, dross, alloy, sediment, etc.; purify; clarify
- to free from imperfection, coarseness, crudeness, etc.; make more elegant or cultivated; impart polish to
- to make more subtle or precise
Origin of refinere- + fine, verb , based on French raffiner, to purify
- to become fine or pure; become free from impurities, etc.
- to become more polished or elegant
- to use subtleties and fine distinctions in thinking or speaking
refine onor refine upon