- The definition of strained is forced, twisted or drained.
- An example of strained used as an adjective is the phrase a strained project which means a project that took a lot of work to complete.
- An example of strained used as an adjective is the phrase a strained calf which means a pulled and sore calf.
- An example of strained used as an adjective is the phrase strained tuna which means canned tuna from which the oil has been removed.
- Strained is defined as to have been injured or put in a lot of effort in the past.
An example of strained is to have pulled a muscle yesterday.
- not natural or relaxed; forced: a strained smile
- characterized by a loss of closeness, cordiality, etc.: strained relations between siblings
- Having been passed through a strainer: a bowl of strained peaches.
- Done with or marked by excessive effort; forced: strained humor.
- Extended beyond proper limits: a strained meaning.
- Antagonized to the verge of open conflict: strained relations.
- Twisted; wrenched: a strained ankle.
(comparative more strained, superlative most strained)
- Simple past tense and past participle of strain.