- When you are so overcome with joy about your husband coming home from war that you cannot contain yourself or express your emotions, this is an example of a time when you are overwrought.
- When a piece of poetry uses every rhyme scheme and literary tool imaginable and becomes way too complicated to be considered a good poem, this is an example of a poem that would be described as overwrought.
The definition of overwrought is overcome with emotion or in a state of high excitement and anxiety, or a creative work that is too elaborate and overdone.
- Archaic overworked; fatigued
- very nervous or excited
- with the surface adorned
- too elaborate; ornate
- Excessively nervous or excited; agitated.
- Extremely elaborate or ornate; overdone: overwrought prose style.
(comparative more overwrought, superlative most overwrought)
- In a state of excessive nervousness, excitement, or anger; Extremely tense, anxious, or upset; filled with emotion, emotional; uneasy.
- Elaborate; overdone.