This child is hysterical.
- An example of hysterical used as an adjective is the phrase a "hysterical child," which means a child who has been crying for hours.
- An example of hysterical used as an adjective is the phrase a "hysterical joke" which means a joke that has the audience laughing a lot.
The definition of hysterical is laughing or crying for a long time or something that is extremely funny.
- of or characteristic of hysteria
- like or suggestive of hysteria; emotionally uncontrolled and wild
- extremely comical
- having or subject to hysteria
Origin of hystericalhysteric + -al
- Exhibiting spasmodic, uncontrolled emotion: became hysterical when the airplane lurched; hysterical laughter.
- Informal Extremely funny: told a hysterical story.
- Psychiatry Relating to hysteria. No longer in clinical use.
(comparative more hysterical, superlative most hysterical)