- The definition of hysterical is laughing or crying for a long time or something that is extremely funny.
- An example of hysterical used as an adjective is the phrase a "hysterical child," which means a child who has been crying for hours.
- An example of hysterical used as an adjective is the phrase a "hysterical joke" which means a joke that has the audience laughing a lot.
This child is hysterical.
hysterical definition by Webster's New World
- of or characteristic of hysteria
- like or suggestive of hysteria; emotionally uncontrolled and wild
- extremely comical
- having or subject to hysteria
Origin: hysteric plush -al
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- hysterically adverb
hysterical definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, characterized by, or arising from hysteria.
- Having or prone to having hysterics.
- Informal Extremely funny: told a hysterical story.
- hys·terˈi·cal·ly adverb