- The definition of a hysteria is a craze or a state of extreme emotional excitement or upset.
When everyone is in a panic about a potential upcoming storm, this is an example of a time when there is great hysteria about the storm.
- a psychiatric condition variously characterized by emotional excitability, excessive anxiety, sensory and motor disturbances, or the unconscious simulation of organic disorders, such as blindness, deafness, etc.
- any outbreak of wild, uncontrolled excitement or feeling, such as fits of laughing and crying
Origin: ModL from hysteric plush -ia
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Behavior exhibiting excessive or uncontrollable emotion, such as fear or panic.
- A mental disorder characterized by emotional excitability and sometimes by amnesia or a physical deficit, such as paralysis, or a sensory deficit, without an organic cause.
Origin: New Latin : hyster(ic) + -ia1.
hysteria - Cultural Definition
hysteria - Medical Definition
- A psychiatric disorder characterized by the presentation of a physical ailment without an organic cause.
- Excessive or uncontrollable emotion, such as fear.
- hysteric , hys·terˈi·cal adjective