- An example of a convulsion is an epileptic siezure.
- An example of a convulsion is an earthquake.
- An example of a convulsion is someone laughing to the point of rolling on the floor and having to catch their breath.
The definition of a convulsion is a violent uncontrolled body shake, commotion or laughing fit.
- a violent, involuntary contraction or spasm of the muscles: often used in pl.
- [usually pl.] a violent fit of laughter
- any violent disturbance, as a social upheaval or an earthquake
Origin of convulsionClassical Latin convulsio from convulsus: see convulse
- An intense, paroxysmal, involuntary muscular contraction.
- An uncontrolled fit, as of laughter; a paroxysm.
- Violent turmoil: “The market convulsions of the last few weeks have shaken the world” ( Felix Rohatyn )