The definition of a convulsion is a violent uncontrolled body shake, commotion or laughing fit.noun
- An example of a convulsion is an epileptic siezure.
- An example of a convulsion is an earthquake.
- An example of a convulsion is someone laughing to the point of rolling on the floor and having to catch their breath.
- a violent, involuntary contraction or spasm of the muscles: often used in pl.
- a violent fit of laughter
- any violent disturbance, as a social upheaval or an earthquake
Origin: L convulsio < convulsus: see convulse
- convulsionary adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An intense, paroxysmal, involuntary muscular contraction.
- An uncontrolled fit, as of laughter; a paroxysm.
- Violent turmoil: “The market convulsions of the last few weeks have shaken the world” (Felix Rohatyn).
convulsion - Cultural Definition
A severe, often violent involuntary contraction of the muscles. Convulsions may be caused by high fevers or poisoning and often accompany such diseases such as epilepsy.
convulsion - Medical Definition