- The definition of an orgasm is the peak of a sexual experience, including genital muscle contractions and the ejection of semen by a male.
An example of orgasm is ejaculation.
Origin: Fr orgasme from Glassical Greek orgasmos from organ, to swell with moisture, lust from Indo-European base an unverified form werg-, to swell with sap or anger from source Sanskrit ūrjā, violence, vigor, sap
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The peak of sexual excitement, characterized by strong feelings of pleasure and by a series of involuntary contractions of the muscles of the genitals, usually accompanied by the ejaculation of semen by the male. Also called climax.
- A similar point of intensity of emotional excitement.
Origin: French orgasme or New Latin orgasmus, both from Greek orgasmos, from orgān, to swell up, be excited.
- or·gasˈmic , or·gasˈtic adjective
- or·gasˈmi·cal·ly, or·gasˈti·cal·ly adverb
orgasm - Medical Definition
- orgasmic adjective
orgasm - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.