The definition of climax is the most intense or highest point of something, or an orgasm.noun
- An example of a climax is during an action film when it seems the hero won't arrive in time to save the day.
- An example of a climax is when a man ejaculates during sex.
- a rhetorical series of ideas, images, etc. arranged progressively so that the most forceful is last
- the final, culminating element or event in a series; highest point, as of interest or excitement; specif.,
- the decisive turning point of the action, as in a drama
- an orgasm
- Ecol. a final, self-perpetuating community of plants and animals that develops in a particular climate, soil, etc.: it will persist as long as the same conditions prevail
Origin: LL < Gr klimax, ladder < base of klinein, to slope: see incline
intransitive verb, transitive verb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The point of greatest intensity or force in an ascending series or progression; a culmination. See Synonyms at summit.
- a. A series of statements or ideas in an ascending order of rhetorical force or intensity.b. The final statement in such a series.
- a. A moment of great or culminating intensity in a narrative or drama, especially the conclusion of a crisis.b. The turning point in a plot or dramatic action.
- See orgasm.
- A stage in ecological development in which a community of organisms, especially plants, is stable and capable of perpetuating itself. Also called climax community.
Origin: Latin clīmax, rhetorical climax, from Greek klīmax, ladder; see klei- in Indo-European roots.
climax - Business DefinitionThe American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
climax - Investment & Finance DefinitionWall Street Words: An A to Z Guide to Investment Terms for Today's Investor by David L. Scott. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
climax - Medical Definition
- The height of a disease; the stage of greatest severity.
- See orgasm.