- The definition of ornate is heavily decorated, very elaborate or showy.
An example of something ornate is a costume covered in diamonds, glitter, feathers and pieces of silver.
A carnival dancer wearing an ornate costume.
ornate definition by Webster's New World
- heavily ornamented or adorned, often to excess
- showy or flowery, as some literary styles
Origin: Middle English ; from Classical Latin ornatus, past participle of ornare: see ornament
ornate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Elaborately, heavily, and often excessively ornamented.
- Flashy, showy, or florid in style or manner; flowery.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin ōrnātus, past participle of ōrnāre, to embellish; see ar- in Indo-European roots.
- or·nateˈly adverb
- or·nateˈness noun