- The definition of irritable is someone who is cranky, or who has the tendency to be grumpy and get mad easily.
A woman who is very pregnant, has raging hormones and gets really mad at everything all the time is an example of someone who would be described as irritable.
Two irritable babies.
irritable definition by Webster's New World
- easily annoyed or provoked; fretful
- Med. excessively or pathologically sensitive to a stimulus
- Physiol. able to respond to a stimulus
Origin: Classical Latin irritabilis ; from irritare, to irritate
irritable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Easily irritated or annoyed.
- Pathology Abnormally sensitive to a stimulus.
- Physiology Capable of responding to stimuli.
Origin: French irritable, from Latin irrītābilis, from irrītāre, to irritate.
- irˈri·ta·ble·ness noun
- irˈri·ta·bly adverb
irritable - Medical Definition
- Capable of reacting to a stimulus.
- Abnormally sensitive to a stimulus.