irritable[ir′i tə bəl]
Two irritable babies.
- The definition of irritable is someone who is cranky, or who has the tendency to be grumpy and get mad easily.
A woman who is very pregnant, has raging hormones and gets really mad at everything all the time is an example of someone who would be described as irritable.
- easily annoyed or provoked; fretful
- Med. excessively or pathologically sensitive to a stimulus
- Physiol. able to respond to a stimulus
Origin of irritableClassical Latin irritabilis ; from irritare, to irritate
- Easily irritated or annoyed.
- Medicine Abnormally or excessively sensitive to a stimulus: irritable bladder.
- Capable of responding to a stimulus. Used of an organism.
Origin of irritableFrench irritable, from Latin irrītābilis, from irrītāre, to irritate.
- ir′ri·ta·bil′i·ty , ir′ri·ta·ble·ness
(comparative more irritable, superlative most irritable)