- The definition of irritable is someone who is cranky, or who has the tendency to be grumpy and get mad easily.
A woman who is very pregnant, has raging hormones and gets really mad at everything all the time is an example of someone who would be described as irritable.
Two irritable babies.
- easily annoyed or provoked; fretful
- Med. excessively or pathologically sensitive to a stimulus
- Physiol. able to respond to a stimulus
Origin of irritableClassical Latin irritabilis ; from irritare, to irritate
- Easily irritated or annoyed.
- Medicine Abnormally or excessively sensitive to a stimulus: irritable bladder.
- Capable of responding to a stimulus. Used of an organism.
Origin of irritableFrench irritable, from Latin irrītābilis, from irrītāre, to irritate.
- ir′ri·ta·bil′i·ty , ir′ri·ta·ble·ness
(comparative more irritable, superlative most irritable)
- Capable of being irritated.
- Easily exasperated or excited.
- Responsive to stimuli.