- A grumpy person who is always frowning and yelling is an example of someone who would be described as cranky.
- A creaky old elevator that only works once in a while is an example of an elevator that would be described as cranky.
- An odd, unorthodox plan is an example of something that would be described as cranky.
The definition of cranky is someone grumpy, ill-tempered and irritable, or a machine that doesn't work well, or something eccentric or strange.
- in poor condition; apt to operate poorly
- irritable; cross
- odd; eccentric
- Rare full of turns; crooked
- Naut. liable to lurch or capsize; unstable
- Having a bad disposition; peevish.
- Having eccentric ways; odd.
- Full of bends and turns; crooked: a cranky mountain road.
- Working unpredictably; erratic: a cranky old truck.
- Rickety; loose.
adjectivecrank·i·er, crank·i·est Nautical
Liable to capsize.
(comparative crankier, superlative crankiest)
From crank + -y.