An amiable pair.
- An example of something amiable is warm and sunny weather.
- A person at work who is always pleasant and helpful is an example of someone amiable.
The definition of amiable is a person, place, or thing that is likeable or a person who is kind and good-natured.
- having a pleasant and friendly disposition; good-natured
- Obs. lovely or lovable
Origin of amiableMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin amicabilis, friendly from Classical Latin amicus, friend: confused with Old French amable, lovable from Classical Latin amabilis, worthy of love; both from Classical Latin amare, to love
- Friendly and agreeable in disposition; good-natured and likable.
- Cordial; sociable; congenial: an amiable gathering.
Origin of amiableMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin amīcābilis ; see amicable .
- a′mi·a·bil′i·ty a′mi·a·ble·ness
(comparative more amiable, superlative most amiable)
- See amicable.