The definition of amiable is a person, place, or thing that is likeable or a person who is kind and good-natured.adjective
- An example of something amiable is warm and sunny weather.
- A person at work who is always pleasant and helpful is an example of someone amiable.
- having a pleasant and friendly disposition; good-natured
- Obsolete lovely or lovable
Origin: ME < OFr < LL amicabilis, friendly < L amicus, friend: confused with OFr amable, lovable < L amabilis, worthy of love; both from L amare, to love
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Friendly and agreeable in disposition; good-natured and likable.
- Cordial; sociable; congenial: an amiable gathering.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin amīcābilis; see amicable.
- aˌmi·a·bilˈi·ty, aˈmi·a·ble·ness noun
- aˈmi·a·bly adverb