The definition of hospitable is a person or place who is welcoming, friendly and accommodating to guests.adjective
A warm and cozy home that you want to sit down in is an example of someplace that would be described as hospitable.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- friendly, kind, and solicitous toward guests
- prompted by or associated with friendliness and solicitude toward guests: a hospitable act
- favoring the health, growth, comfort, etc. of new arrivals; not adverse: a hospitable climate
- receptive or open, as to new ideas
Origin: MFr < ML hospitabilis < hospitare, to receive as a guest < hospes: see hospice
- hospitably adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Disposed to treat guests with warmth and generosity.
- Indicative of cordiality toward guests: a hospitable act.
- Having an open mind; receptive: hospitable to new ideas.
- Favorable to growth and development; agreeable: a hospitable environment.
Origin: Obsolete French, from Medieval Latin *hospitābilis, from Latin hospitāre, to put up as a guest, from hospes, hospit-, guest, host; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots.
- hosˈpi·ta·bly adverb