The definition of charitable is being kind, forgiving and generous and helping those in need.
An example of charitable is someone who volunteers at a soup kitchen; a charitable person.
- kind and generous in giving money or other help to those in need
- of or for charity
- kind and forgiving in judging others; lenient
Origin of charitableMiddle English and OFr: see charity
- a. Generous in giving money or other help to the needy: “found her way to a charitable family, the kind who take in babies left on their front porch” ( Rachel Simon )b. Of, for, or concerned with charity: a charitable donation. See Synonyms at benevolent.
- a. Lenient or forbearing in judging others.b. Characterized by lenient or forbearing judgment: a charitable interpretation of the politician's remarks.
(comparative more charitable, superlative most charitable)
- Pertaining to charity.
- Kind, generous.
- Having a purpose or character of a charity.
From Old French charitable.