- The definition of charitable is being kind, forgiving and generous and helping those in need.
An example of charitable is someone who volunteers at a soup kitchen; a charitable person.
charitable definition by Webster's New World
- kind and generous in giving money or other help to those in need
- of or for charity
- kind and forgiving in judging others; lenient
Origin: Middle English and amp; OFr: see charity
charitable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Generous in giving money or other help to the needy.
- Mild or tolerant in judging others; lenient.
- Of, for, or concerned with charity: a charitable organization. See Synonyms at benevolent.
- charˈi·ta·ble·ness noun
- charˈi·ta·bly adverb