- The definition of humane is a kind, tender and compassionate person.
An example of humane is someone who stops to help push a person's car that has stopped in the middle of the road.
humane definition by Webster's New World
- having what are considered the best qualities of human beings; kind, tender, merciful, sympathetic, etc.
- civilizing; humanizing: humane learning
Origin: earlier variant, variety of human, now usually associated, association directly with Classical Latin humanus
humane definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by kindness, mercy, or compassion: a humane judge.
- Marked by an emphasis on humanistic values and concerns: a humane education.
Origin: Middle English humain, human; see human.
- hu·maneˈly adverb
- hu·maneˈness noun