humanitarian[hyo̵̅o̅ man′ə ter′ē ən, yo̵̅o̅-]
- The definition of a humanitarian is a person who cares about people and who often participates in charity or does good work to show that care.
An example of a humanitarian is a person who gives time and money to relieve the suffering of humanity.
- a person devoted to promoting the welfare of humanity, esp. through the elimination of pain and suffering; philanthropist
- an adherent of humanitarianism (sense )
- helping humanity
- of humanitarianism
- Showing concern for the welfare of humanity, especially in acting to improve the living conditions of impoverished people.
- Being a situation in which many human lives are in danger of harm or death: The drought caused a humanitarian crisis.
(comparative more humanitarian, superlative most humanitarian)
Coined around 1820, from humanity + -arian.