- The definition of stingy is someone or something that is not generous.
- An example of someone you would describe as stingy is a millionaire who won't even give $1 to charity.
- An example of something you might describe as stingy is a portion of broccoli consisting of one tiny little piece.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective stin·gi·er, stin·gi·est
- Giving or spending reluctantly.
- Scanty or meager: a stingy meal; stingy with details about the past.
Origin: Perhaps alteration of dialectal stingy, stinging, from sting.
- stinˈgi·ly adverb
- stinˈgi·ness noun