- When you have only one chip to eat and you are starving, this is an example of a serving of chips that would be described as scanty.
- When you wear a short mini skirt and a shirt that shows off your belly and bust line, this is an example of clothing that would be described as scanty.
The definition of scanty is a small or insufficient amount, or clothing that is too revealing.
- barely sufficient; not ample; meager
- insufficient; not enough
- narrow; small; close
Origin of scantyscant + -y
- Small or insufficient in amount, size, or extent: scanty rations; scanty evidence.
- Not covering a considerable amount of the body: a scanty bathing suit.
(comparative scantier, superlative scantiest)
scant +"Ž -y