- The definition of chintzy is something poorly made, or a person who is cheap.
- If you are promised a big buffet and there is only a small table full of plain spaghetti, this is an example of a chintzy buffet.
- A boyfriend who purchases a colorful, tacky bracelet of fake stones is an example of someone who would be described as a chintzy person.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adjective chintz·i·er, chintz·i·est
- Of, relating to, or decorated with chintz.
- a. Gaudy; trashy: chintzy merchandise.b. Stingy; miserly.