A stylish punker standing against a graffiti wall.
- A kid who hangs around on the street all day giving attitude and occasionally shoplifting or stealing wallets is an example of a punk.
- A follower of aggressive 1970's rock music who wears his hair in a Mohawk and dyes it blue is an example of a punk.
Punk is defined as a young, rebellious person, or aggressive rock music that was popular in the 1970's and those who admire that style of music.
any substance, as decayed wood, that smolders when ignited, used as tinder; esp., a chemically treated fungous substance shaped into slender, fragile, light-brown sticks: the glowing tips are used to light fireworks, etc.
Origin of punkprobably variant, variety of spunk
- Obs. a prostitute
- a male homosexual
- a young hoodlum
- any person, esp. a youngster, regarded as inexperienced, insignificant, presumptuous, etc.
- punk rock
- a style, originating among fans of punk rock, characterized by motley clothes, oddly clipped hair, etc.
Origin of punkEarly Modern English slang from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- Slang poor or bad in condition, quality, etc.
- of or having to do with punk rock or the style called punk
- Slang a. An often aggressive or violent young man: The building was set on fire by a bunch of punks.b. An inexperienced young person: We don't want that little punk tagging along.c. A cowardly or weak young man: Don't let him disrespect you—show him you're not a punk.
- Music a. Punk rock.b. A punk rocker.
- a. Slang A young man who is the sexual partner of an older man, especially in prison.b. Archaic A prostitute.
verbpunked, punk·ing, punks Slang
To act in a cowardly manner. Often used with out.
- To humiliate (someone). Often used with down or out.
- a. To dupe or deceive.b. To play a practical joke on.
Origin of punkOrigin unknown
- Dry decayed wood, used as tinder.
- Any of various substances that smolder when ignited, used to light fireworks.
- Chinese incense.
- Of poor quality; worthless.
- Weak in spirits or health.
Origin of punkProbably of eastern Algonquian origin