The definition of a brat is a child that is difficult to manage, or a child of a military family.noun
- A child who throws a tantrum every five minutes is an example of a brat.
- The daughter of an ensign in the Navy is an example of a Navy brat.
- a child, esp. an impudent, unruly child: scornful or playful term
- Slang the son or daughter of a person in a professional community, a particular company, the armed forces, etc.: a navy brat
Origin: ME, cloak of coarse cloth < OE bratt < Gael, mantle, cloth, rag: present sense ? from child's bib or apron
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.
- A child of a career military person.
Origin: Possibly from brat, coarse garment, from Middle English, from Old English bratt, of Celtic origin.
- bratˈtish adjective
- bratˈtish·ness noun