- The definition of a brat is a child that is difficult to manage, or a child of a military family.
- A child who throws a tantrum every five minutes is an example of a brat.
- The daughter of an ensign in the Navy is an example of a Navy brat.
This child is being a brat.
brat definition by Webster's New World
- a child, esp. an impudent, unruly child: scornful or playful term
- Slang the son or daughter of a person in a professional community, a particular company, the armed forces, etc.: a navy brat
Origin: Middle English cloak of coarse cloth ; from Old English bratt ; from Gaelic mantle, cloth, rag: present sense uncertain or unknown; perhaps from child's bib or apron
brat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A child, especially a spoiled or ill-mannered one.
- A child of a career military person.
Origin: Possibly from brat, coarse garment, from Middle English, from Old English bratt, of Celtic origin.
- bratˈtish adjective
- bratˈtish·ness noun