- a garment of cloth, leather, etc. worn over the front part of the body, usually to protect one's clothes
- anything like an apron in appearance or use; specif.,
- a covering or extending part for protecting or shielding a structure, machine, etc.
- a waterproof protecting shield in an open vehicle
- the hard-surfaced area, often paved, in front of or next to the terminal or hangars of an airport
- a broadened part of an automobile driveway, as where it joins the roadway
- the part of a proscenium stage in front of the arch
- an endless belt for carrying things
- a protective work of planking or other material along a river bank, below a dam, etc.
Origin of apronby faulty separation of a napron from Middle English napron from Old French naperon from nape, a cloth from Classical Latin mappa, napkin