- The definition of clothing is what someone wears to cover their body.
Jeans and a shirt are examples of clothing.
A closet filled with clothing.
- wearing apparel; clothes; garments
- a covering
Origin of clothingME: see cloth
- Clothes considered as a group; wearing apparel.
- A covering.
- Present participle of clothe.
- Any of a wide variety of articles, usually made of fabrics, animal hair, animal skin, or some combination thereof, used to cover the human body for warmth, to preserve modesty, or for fashion.
- An act or instance of putting clothes on.
- The clothing and unclothing of the idols was of special significance.
- A covering of non-conducting material on the outside of a boiler, or steam chamber, to prevent radiation of heat.
From Middle English clothing, clathing, clething (whence also the dialectal English term cleading), equivalent to clothe + -ing. Cognate with Scots cleeding, cleiding, cleading (“clothing”), Dutch kleding (“clothing”), German Kleidung (“clothing”), Danish klædning (“clothing, dress, attire”), Swedish klädning (“dress”). Compare also cladding.
Variant of clothe