- the act of one that dresses
- that which is used to dress something, as manure applied to soil, or medicines and bandages applied to wounds
- a substance used to stiffen fabric during manufacture
- a sauce as for salads
- a mixture as of bread and seasoning, used for stuffing roast fowl, etc.
- A therapeutic or protective material applied to a wound.
- A sauce for certain dishes, such as salads.
- A stuffing, as for poultry or fish.
- Manure or other fertilizing material for soil.
(countable and uncountable, plural dressings)
- Present participle of dress.
- Carmen was up first, showering and dressing before Alex woke.
- It hit her as she was dressing to go to the party.
- After a shower, she was dressing when her phone rang.
- She spread some salad dressing on a piece of bread.
- But as soon as Pierre turned toward him he wrapped his dressing gown around him with a shamefaced and angry look and hurried away.