- An example of condiment is mustard.
- An example of condiment is pickle relish.
- An example of condiment is salt.
The definition of a condiment is a seasoning or other edible substance used to improve the taste of food.
- a seasoning or relish for food
- anything added to a prepared food, often, specif., to a sandwich, to add flavor, as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, onions, pickles, etc.
Origin of condimentMiddle English and Old French from Classical Latin condimentum from condire, to pickle, variant, variety of condere, to put together from com-, together + -dere, to put, do
A substance, such as a relish, vinegar, or spice, used to flavor or complement food.
Origin of condimentMiddle English from Old French from Latin condīmentum from condīre to season ; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.