- soy sauce
- the soybean plant or its seeds
Also Chiefly Brit.soy′a
Origin of soyJpn, probably dialect, dialectal variant, variety of Sino-Japanese sh?yu from sh?, rice, wheat, or beans fermented and steeped in brine + yu, oil
- The soybean.
- Soy sauce.
Origin of soyDutch soja from Japanese shōyu soy sauce from Middle Chinese tsiaŋ` jiw ( also the source of Mandarin jiàngyóu )Middle Chinese tsiaŋ` soy paste Middle Chinese jiw oil, sauce
- A Chinese and Japanese liquid sauce for fish, made by subjecting boiled beans to long fermentation and then long digestion in salt and water. US preference is the term soy sauce.
- I like a little soy with my rice.
- Soybeans. Often used attributively.
- These candles are made from soy.
- The soy crop is looking good this year.