- Sox is the plural form of sock.
An example of sox is a pair of knit coverings for the foot.
- (chiefly US, informal) plural form of sock (footwear)
- (US, baseball) Short for the team the Boston Red Sox.
- (US, baseball) Short for the team the Chicago White Sox (under some circumstances also known as the Black Sox).
sox - Computer Definition
(1) See Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
(2) (Schema for Object-oriented XML) An XML schema developed by Veo Systems and Muzino Communications, which was submitted to the W3C. SOX is based on DTD, but adds data typing and reuse mechanisms. In May 2001, a standard XML schema (W3C XML Schema) was introduced by the W3C. See XML schema. See also SOCKS server.
sox - Investment & Finance Definition
Variant of sock
- a light shoe worn by comic characters in ancient Greek and Roman drama
- comedy or the muse of comedy
- pl. socks or sox a knitted covering for the foot and ankle, like a short stocking, sometimes extending to just below the knee ()
Origin of sockMiddle English socke ; from Old English socc ; from Classical Latin soccus, type of light, low-heeled shoe ; from Classical Greek sukchis, probably of Phrygian origin, originally ; akin to Avestan haxa-, sole of the foot