Modesty is defined as the act of showing reserve in behavior or clothes.noun
- An example of modesty is when you are a great violin player and you simply say "I enjoy playing" when someone asks you if you are any good or not.
- An example of modesty is when you wear a shirt over your bathing suit because you don't want to show off too much of your body.
- unassuming or humble behavior
- lack of excesses or pretensions; moderation
- decency; decorum
Origin: Fr modestie < L modestia
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The state or quality of being modest.
- Reserve or propriety in speech, dress, or behavior.
- Lack of pretentiousness; simplicity.