A modest home.
- The definition of modest is someone or something that is humble or shy or not extreme.
- An example of modest is a person who doesn't easily take their clothes off around others.
- An example of modest is a simple house.
- having or showing a moderate opinion of one's own value, abilities, achievements, etc.; not vain or boastful; unassuming
- not forward; shy or reserved: modest behavior
- behaving, dressing, speaking, etc. in a way that is considered proper or decorous; decent
- moderate or reasonable; not extreme: a modest request
- quiet and humble in appearance, style, etc.; not pretentious: a modest home
Origin of modestFrench modeste ; from Classical Latin modestus, keeping due measure, modest ; from modus: see mode
- Having or showing a moderate estimation of one's own abilities, accomplishments, or value: was too modest to talk about his success.
- a. Having or proceeding from a disinclination to call attention to oneself; retiring or diffident: a quiet, modest demeanor.b. Observing conventional proprieties in speech, behavior, or dress, especially in the avoidance of arousing sexual interest.
- a. Free from showiness or ostentation; unpretentious: a house with modest furnishings. See Synonyms at plain.b. Moderate or limited in size, quantity, or range; not extreme: a modest price; a newspaper with a modest circulation.
Origin of modestLatin modestus; see med- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative modester or more modest, superlative modestest or most modest)