- Ivy is an example of a creeper.
- A insectivorous bird in the Northern hemisphere that moves around tall grasses and climbs up tree trunks is an example of a creeper.
The definition of a creeper is a plant that grows, typically along the ground or up a building, by slowly spreading out, or a small bird that moves around in plants and vegetation.
- a person, animal, or thing that creeps
- any plant whose stem puts out tendrils or rootlets by which it can creep along a surface as it grows: the Virginia creeper
- any of various small passerine birds (esp. family Certhiidae) that creep on trees, bushes, or walls looking for insects, larvae, etc. to eat, including the wall creeper, certain wood warblers, etc.
- a device with metal hooks for dragging the bottom of a lake, pond, etc.; grapnel
- [usually pl.] a metal plate with spikes, fastened to a shoe to prevent slipping
- any device for carrying material to or from a machine, or from one part of a machine to another
- a low frame or platform on wheels or casters, for a mechanic to lie on when working under an automobile
- a very low gear as on a truck, for dragging heavy loads, climbing steep inclines, etc.in full creeper gear
- [pl.] a baby's one-piece garment, combining pants and shirt
- One that creeps.
- Botany A plant that spreads by means of stems that creep.
- See cradle.
- A grappling device for dragging bodies of water, such as lakes or rivers.
- A one-piece fitted garment for an infant.
- creepers A metal frame with a spike or spikes, attached to a shoe or boot to prevent slipping, especially on ice.
- A person or a thing who crawls or creeps.
- Often in plural, a one-piece garment for infants designed to facilitate access to the wearer's diaper.
- A device which allows a small child to safely roam around a room from a seated or standing position.
- A metal plate with spikes, designed to be worn with shoes to prevent slipping.
- A spur-like device strapped to the boot to facilitate climbing.
- (chiefly in the plural) A small, low iron, or dog, between the andirons.
- An instrument with iron hooks or claws for dredging up items from a well or other water.
- Any device for causing material to move steadily from one part of a machine to another, such as an apron in a carding machine, or an inner spiral in a grain screen.
- Any plant (as ivy or periwinkle) that grows by creeping; especially a climbing plant of the genus Parthenocissus.
- A treecreeper.
- (nautical) A small, four-hooked grapnel used to recover objects dropped onto the sea bed.
- The lowest gear of a tractor or truck, also creeper gear, creeper shift.
- A low-profile, wheeled platform whereupon an auto mechanic may lie on their back and gain better access to the underbody of a vehicle.
- (pejorative, slang) A person who creeps people out; a creepy person.
- Don't go to a nightclub to find a boyfriend. They're all creepers there.
- A kind of shoe, usually with a suede upper and a thick crepe sole, associated with various twentieth-century subcultures.
creep + -er
Slang usage derived from phrase "give the creeps" or "creep out" (distinct from givers from give, or merely one who creeps)