- The definition of a creeper is a plant that grows, typically along the ground or up a building, by slowly spreading out, or a small bird that moves around in plants and vegetation.
- Ivy is an example of a creeper.
- A insectivorous bird in the Northern hemisphere that moves around tall grasses and climbs up tree trunks is an example of a creeper.
creeper definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person, animal, or thing that creeps
- any plant whose stem puts out tendrils or rootlets by which it can creep along a surface as it grows: the Virginia creeper
- any of various small passerine birds (esp. family Certhiidae) that creep on trees, bushes, or walls looking for insects, larvae, etc. to eat, including the wall creeper, certain wood warblers, etc.
- a device with metal hooks for dragging the bottom of a lake, pond, etc.; grapnel
- ☆ a metal plate with spikes, fastened to a shoe to prevent slipping
- any device for carrying material to or from a machine, or from one part of a machine to another
- ☆ a low frame on wheels or casters for a mechanic to lie on when working under an automobile
- the lowest gear in a truck, as for use on steep gradesin full, creeper gear
- ☆ a baby's one-piece garment, combining pants and shirt
creeper definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that creeps.
- Botany A plant that spreads by means of stems that creep.
- See cradle.
- A grappling device for dragging bodies of water, such as lakes or rivers.
- A one-piece fitted garment for an infant.
- creepers A metal frame with a spike or spikes, attached to a shoe or boot to prevent slipping, especially on ice.