An example of the torso is the shoulders down to the hips of a person.
- the trunk of a statue of the nude human figure, esp. of such a statue lacking the head and full limbs
- the trunk of the human body
- any unfinished or fragmentary piece of work
Origin of torsoIt, stump, trunk of a statue ; from Classical Latin thyrsus, a stalk, stem ; from Classical Greek thyrsos, a stem, wand
nounpl. tor·sos or tor·si
- The human body excluding the head and limbs; trunk.
- A statue of the human body with the head and limbs omitted or removed.
- A truncated or unfinished thing.
Origin of torsoItalian, trunk of a statue, from Old Italian, stalk, stem, from Vulgar Latin *tursus, from Latin thyrsus, stalk; see thyrsus.
(plural torsos or torsi)