- The torso is the trunk or the part of the human body that doesn't include the head, arms or legs.
An example of the torso is the shoulders down to the hips of a person.
nounpl. torsos or torsi
- the trunk of a statue of the nude human figure, esp. of such a statue lacking the head and full limbs
- the trunk of the human body
- any unfinished or fragmentary piece of work
Origin of torsoItalian stump, trunk of a statue ; from Classical Latin thyrsus, a stalk, stem ; from Classical Greek thyrsos, a stem, wand
nounpl. tor·sos or tor·si
- The human body excluding the head and limbs; trunk.
- A statue of the human body with the head and limbs omitted or removed.
- A truncated or unfinished thing.
Origin of torsoItalian, trunk of a statue, from Old Italian, stalk, stem, from Vulgar Latin *tursus, from Latin thyrsus, stalk; see thyrsus.
(plural torsos or torsi)