The torso is the trunk or the part of the human body that doesn't include the head, arms or legs.
An example of the torso is the shoulders down to the hips of a person.
nounpl. -·sos or -·si
- the trunk of a statue of the nude human figure, esp. of such a statue lacking the head and full limbs
- the trunk of the human body
- any unfinished or fragmentary piece of work
Origin of torsoIt, stump, trunk of a statue from Classical Latin thyrsus, a stalk, stem from Classical Greek thyrsos, a stem, wand
nounpl. tor·sos, or tor·si
- The human body excluding the head and limbs; trunk.
- A statue of the human body with the head and limbs omitted or removed.
- A truncated or unfinished thing.
Origin of torsoItalian trunk of a statue from Old Italian stalk, stem from Vulgar Latin tursus from Latin thyrsus stalk ; see thyrsus .
(plural torsos or torsi)