- a sturdy, powerful vessel designed to cut channels through heavy ice
- a wedgelike structure for protecting a bridge pier, dock, etc. from floating ice
- anything serving to lessen formality or break down social reserve
- A ship designed to break through ice so that it, or other ships coming behind, can navigate on frozen seas.
- The steel hulls of ice-breakers are much thicker than those of standard vessels.
- A game, activity, humorous anecdote, etc., designed to relax a group of people to help them get to know each other.
- The new college hallmates were awkward with each other at first, but after a game of charades as an icebreaker, they were laughing like old friends.
icebreaker - Computer Definition
A software program that cracks corporate firewalls.
Clutton, R. Welcome to the Simple Guide of Cyberpunk. [Online, June 24, 2001.] http://tip.net.au/~rclutton/cdict.html.