- The definition of an ancedote is a short entertaining story.
A short tale about one's youth or a funny story about an incident that happened on the way to work are each an example of an anecdote.
- Obsolete little-known, entertaining facts of history or biography
- a short, entertaining account of some happening, usually personal or biographical
Origin: French ; from Midieval Latin anecdota ; from Classical Greek anekdota, neuter plural of anekdotos, unpublished ; from an-, not plush ekdotos ; from ekdidonai ; from ek-, out plush didonai, to give: see date
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A short account of an interesting or humorous incident.
- pl. an·ec·dotes or an·ec·do·ta Secret or hitherto undivulged particulars of history or biography.
Origin: French, from Greek anekdota, unpublished items : an-, not; see a-1 + ekdota, neuter pl. of ekdotos, published (from ekdidonai, ekdo-, to publish : ek-, out; see ecto- + didonai, to give; see dō- in Indo-European roots).