- The definition of a narrative is a story or tale of events.
An example of a narrative is "The Gift of the Magi."
narrative definition by Webster's New World
- of, or having the nature of, narration; in story form
- occupied or concerned with narration: a narrative poet
Origin: Classical Latin narrativus
- a story; account; tale
- the art or practice of narrating; narration
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- narratively adverb
narrative definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A narrated account; a story.
- The art, technique, or process of narrating.
- Consisting of or characterized by the telling of a story: narrative poetry.
- Of or relating to narration: narrative skill.
- narˈra·tive·ly adverb