- The definition of a comment is a statement or remark.
An example of a comment is a statement released in the paper that someone made about a scandal going on.
- To comment is to make a statement, remark or express an opinion.
An example of comment is when you share your opinion on an issue.
- a note in explanation, criticism, or illustration of something written or said; annotation
- such notes collectively
- a remark or observation made in criticism or as an expression of opinion
- talk; chatter; gossip
Origin of commentMiddle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin commentum, invention ; from commentus, past participle of comminisci, to contrive; devise ; from com-, intensive + base of meminisse, to remember; akin to mens, mind
Origin of commentME commenten < OFr commenter < L commentari, to consider thoroughly
- a. A written note intended as an explanation, illustration, or criticism of a passage in a book or other writing; an annotation.b. A series of annotations or explanations.
- a. A statement of fact or opinion, especially a remark that expresses a personal reaction or attitude.b. An implied conclusion or judgment: a novel that is a comment on contemporary lawlessness.
- Talk; gossip: a divorce that caused much comment.
- Computers A string of text in a program that does not function in the program itself but is used by the programmer to explain instructions.
- Linguistics The part of a sentence that provides new information about the topic. Also called rheme.
verbcom·ment·ed, com·ment·ing, com·ments
- To make a comment; remark.
- To serve as a judgmental commentary: “Her demise comments on [the Upper East Side's] entire way of life” (Mark Muro).
Origin of commentMiddle English, from Late Latin commentum, interpretation, from Latin, contrivance, from neuter past participle of comminīscī, to devise; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present comments, present participle commenting, simple past and past participle commented)
- To remark.
- (intransitive, with "on" or "about") To make remarks or notes.
- (software) To insert comments into (source code).
- I wish I'd commented this complicated algorithm back when I remembered how it worked.
comment - Computer Definition
comment - Legal Definition
- A scholarly article or essay, usually written by a law student and published in a law review, analyzing a judicial decision and its context in the law. See also annotation and note.
- An explanation of a statute, code section, or administrative rule written by the drafters of the statute, section, or rule. See also annotation.