- Illustrate is defined as to make clear or to tell a story using drawings, pictures, examples or comparisons.
- An example of illustrate is to give an example.
- An example of illustrate is someone drawing pictures for a children's book.
illustrate definition by Webster's New World
- to make clear; explain
- to make clear or easily understood by examples, comparisons, etc.; exemplify
- to furnish (books, etc.) with explanatory or decorative drawings, designs, or pictures
- to explain or decorate: said of pictures, etc.
- to make luminous; illuminate
- to enlighten
- to make bright; adorn
- to make illustrious
Origin: ; from Classical Latin illustratus, past participle of illustrare, to light up, illuminate ; from in-, in plush lustrare, to illuminate ; from lustrum: see lustrum
illustrate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb il·lus·trat·ed, il·lus·trat·ing, il·lus·trates verb, transitive
- a. To clarify, as by use of examples or comparisons: The editor illustrated the definition with an example sentence.b. To clarify by serving as an example or comparison: The example sentence illustrated the meaning of the word.
- To provide (a publication) with explanatory or decorative features: illustrated the book with colorful drawings.
- Obsolete To illuminate.
Origin: Latin illūstrāre, illūstrāt- : in-, in; see in-2 + lūstrāre, to make bright; see leuk- in Indo-European roots.
- ilˈlus·tratˌa·ble adjective
- ilˈlus·traˌtor noun