- Decorate is defined as to change or add something to make it more beautiful, or to give a medal to someone.
- An example of decorate is painting white walls a blue color.
- An example of decorate is putting a flower in your hair.
- An example of decorate is to give the Medal of Honor to a member of the armed forces to honor their distinguished service.
Two chefs working to decorate a cake.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to add something to so as to make more attractive; adorn; ornament
- to plan and arrange the colors, furnishings, etc. of
- to paint or wallpaper: to decorate a room
- to give a medal or similar token of honor to
Origin: ; from Classical Latin decoratus, past participle of decorare, to decorate ; from decus, an ornament ; from Indo-European base an unverified form de, to receive, be suitable from source decent
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb dec·o·rat·ed, dec·o·rat·ing, dec·o·rates
- To furnish, provide, or adorn with something ornamental; embellish.
- To confer a medal or other honor on: was decorated for bravery.
Origin: From Middle English decorat, made beautiful, from Latin decorātus, past participle of decorāre, to beautify, from decus, decor-, honor, ornament; see dek- in Indo-European roots.