- The definition of a picture is a photo, drawing, painting or other image captured of a person, thing or scene.
- An example of picture is a poster of Elvis.
- An example of picture is a photograph of the Grand Canyon.
- An example of picture is the image on a television screen.
- Picture is defined as to capture or create an image of a person or object or scene or to visualize something.
- An example of picture is taking a photo of someone.
- An example of picture is someone imagining themself sitting in a tree.
An old picture in a frame.
picture definition by Webster's New World
- an image or likeness of an object, person, or scene produced on a flat surface, esp. by painting, drawing, or photography
- a printed reproduction of this
- anything closely resembling or strikingly typifying something else; perfect likeness or image: to be the picture of one's mother, the picture of health
- anything regarded as having the compositional beauty of a painting or drawing
- a mental image or impression; idea
- a vivid or detailed description: a picture of the times
- all the facts or conditions of an event, collectively; situation
- film ()
- the image on a television screen
Origin: Middle English pycture ; from Classical Latin pictura ; from pictus, past participle of pingere, to paint
picture definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A visual representation or image painted, drawn, photographed, or otherwise rendered on a flat surface.
- A visible image, especially one on a flat surface or screen: the picture reflected in the lake; focused the picture on the movie screen.
- a. A vivid or realistic verbal description: a Shakespearean picture of guilt.b. A vivid mental image.
- A person or object bearing a marked resemblance to another: She's the picture of her mother.
- A person, object, or scene that typifies or embodies an emotion, state of mind, or mood: Your face was the very picture of horror.
- The chief circumstances of an event or time; a situation.
- A movie.
- A tableau vivant.
- To make a visible representation of.
- To form a mental image of; visualize.
- To describe vividly in words; make a verbal picture of: pictured their heroism in glowing language. See Synonyms at represent.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin pictūra, from pictus, painted, past participle of pingere, to paint; see peig- in Indo-European roots.
picture - Computer Definition
In programming, a pattern that describes the type of data allowed in a field or the way the data should be printed. The pattern is made up of a character code for each character in the field; for example, 9999 is a picture for four numeric digits. A picture for a telephone number could be (999) 999-9999. Three alphanumerics followed by three numeric digits might be XXX999. Pictures are similar, but not identical, in all programming languages. See also graphics and graphics formats.
picture - Investment & Finance Definition
picture - Phrases/Idioms
in (or out of) the picture